Richard Chaffoo MD, FACS
About the Practice
Dr. Chaffoo offers a personal approach for all his plastic surgery patients combining both his aesthetic sense and the latest technology available. He treats his patients as if they were family members; his staff share the same approach and philosophy. Dr. Chaffoo’s triple board certification and previous training in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery give him a strong background and expertise in facial rejuvenation including both primary and revision rhinoplasty. Many of his colleagues who are facial plastic surgeons and plastic surgeons refer difficult cases to him, especially revision rhinoplasty and hair restoration surgery for men and women.
Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS specializes in aesthetic (cosmetic) plastic surgery of the face and body. He frequently performs eyelid surgery, brow lift procedures, facelifts, rhinoplasty, and hair restoration surgery for men and women who suffer from hair loss due to a variety of causes. Dr. Chaffoo offers breast augmentation surgery, breast lifts, tummy tucks, arm lifts, and even body lifts for those who have lost excessive amounts of weight from diet or bariatric surgery. In addition, Dr. Chaffoo frequently performs numerous non-invasive procedures including dermal fillers, Botox, laser treatments, and Coolsculpting.
Patient Photo GallerySee all cases submitted by Richard Chaffoo MD, FACS
Background & Certification
Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the American Board of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, and the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
Dr. Chaffoo received his M.D. degree from Wake Forest University School of Medicine at the age of 24. He completed his first 5 year surgical residency in Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery as a U.S. Naval medical officer at the Naval Regional Medical Center, Portsmouth, Va. Dr. Chaffoo then completed a one year fellowship in Facial Plastic Surgery at Stanford University Medical Center. He then completed a residency in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University.
Richard Chaffoo, MD has held teaching appointments at Stanford University Medical Center and UCSD School of Medicine, Department of Surgery. He currently holds faculty appointments at both UCSD School of Medicine and Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Washington, D.C.
Publications and Presentations
CONCHAL CARTILAGE TECHNIQUE FOR BILATERAL CLEFT LIP, RHINOPLASTY
**Award: Best resident presentation
Annual meeting Northwest Society of Plastic Surgeons, Kaui, Hawaii
Modifications in Goldman Tip Rhinoplasty
Annual meeting, American Academy of Facial
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
San Francisco, CA.
Alar Cartilage Division Techniques in Rhinoplasty
Spring Meeting. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Palm Spring, CA.
Laser Applications in Facial Plastic Surgery
World Congress International Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ISPRS)
Tip Rhinoplasty Techniques World Congress of Surgery, Hong Kong
Cynosure Laser Corporation Donation
Cynosure Laser to UCSD Regional Burn Center for research study of Post Burn Hypertrophic Scar Prevention and Treatment
Chaffoo RAK: Complications in Facelift Surgery: Avoidance and Management
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2013 Nov;21(4):551-8.
• Chaffoo RAK, Ozaki W, Vu KC, Markowitz BL: Comprehensive Rhinoplasty Technique to Correct the Bilateral Cleft Lip Nasal Deformity Using Conchal Composite Grafts. J Craniomaxillofacial Surgery.
• Chaffoo RAK, Hasen JE: Pediatric Tumors. Mathes Plastic Surgery
• Chaffoo RAK, Goode RL: Irradiated Homologous Cartilage in Augmentation Rhinoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Head and Neck. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium of the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
• Chaffoo RAK, Lynch JR, Hansen JE, Seyfer AE: The Lower Trapezius Musculocutaneous Flap Revisited for Complicated Wound to the Posterior Cervical and Occipital Regions Based on the Deep Branch of the Transverse Cervical Artery.Plastic Reconstruction Surgery
• Chaffoo RAK, Gold SR: Fat Myringoplasty in the Guinea Pig. Laryngoscope.
• Chaffoo RAK, Fee WE: Early Re-Exploration of the Parotid Wound Following Parotidectomy. Am J Otolarynhology
• Chaffoo RAK, Luetzow AM, Young H.: Percutaneous Gastrostomy, The Stanford Experience Laryngoscope
• Chaffoo RAK, Goode RL: Modication of the Deltopectoral Flap for Pharyngoesophageal Reconstruction. Laryngoscope
• Chaffoo RAK, Byrd JP: Metastatic Carcinoma Masquearding as a Retropharyngeal Abscess. US Navy Medicine
• Chaffoo, RAK: Complications of Facelift Surgery. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics.International Press
• Chaffoo, RAK, Bryd; Metastatic SCC Masquerading as a Retropharyngeal Abscess,US Naval Medicine
• Chaffoo RAK, and Fee, WE: Re-exploration of the Parotid Wound following Paroidectomy, American Journal of Otolaryngology
• Chaffoo, RAK: Alar Cartilage Division Techniques in Rhinoplasty, Proceedings of the International Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
• Chaffoo, RAK and Goode RL: Modifications in the Deltopectoral Flap for Pharyngoesophageal Reconstruction, Laryngoscope.
• Chaffoo, RAK: KTP Laser Treatment of Cutaneous Vascular Lesions. Proceedings of the International Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Society.
• Chaffoo, RAK and Seyfer AE: The Trapezius Myocutaneous Flap Modifications.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal.
• Chaffoo, RAK and Hasen JE: Pediatric Tumors in Plastic Surgery.
• Chaffoo, RAK and Ozaki WH: Conchal Cartilage for Cleft Nose Rhinoplasty, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Awards & Honors
Richard Chaffoo, MD is the recipient of numerous awards and honors during his career in plastic surgery. He is the past President of the San Diego Plastic Surgery Society, an honor bestowed upon him by his colleagues and peers. In addition, Dr. Chaffoo has been voted as a Top Plastic Surgeon by Castle Connolly for many years. This honor is bestowed upon 5% of plastic surgeons and is voted upon by other physicians and colleagues. He is the recipient of Best Cosmetic Surgeon, Best Plastic Surgeon, and Best Hair Restoration Surgeon by numerous local publications in San Diego including San Diego Union Tribune, La Jolla Light, Ranch and Coast Magazine and nationally by Aesthetic Everything.
Affiliations & Memberships
Staff Surgeon Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla CA
San Diego Plastic Surgery Society (Member) – Past President
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (Member)
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (Member)
American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (Fellow)
American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
American Head and Neck Surgery Society (Fellow)
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Fellow)
California Society of Plastic Surgeons (Member)
Past President, San Diego Plastic Surgery Society
Past Chief, Plastic Surgery, Scripps Memorial Hospital,Encinitas,Ca
Our office is located in the Scripps Ximed Medical Building which is on the campus of Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla. Scripps Memorial has been consistently voted one of the top hospitals in the USA and the top hospital in San Diego by US News & World Report. A plastic surgery consultation with our practice focuses on providing each patient with the information they need to make an informed decision and determine if plastic surgery is right for you. On the day of your consultation, you will be greeted by our consultant who will do an initial interview. Following this, Dr. Chaffoo will meet with you to listen to your concerns and perform a thorough history and physical examination of the area(s) which bother you. Dr. Chaffoo and our plastic surgery consultant will discuss the options which are available to provide the best aesthetic outcome. You will be provided a detailed, written estimate of the costs for the procedure as well as an informational packet to review at your leisure. We can also review before and after photos of Dr. Chaffoo’s patients from his exhaustive photo gallery on the practice website. In addition, we would be pleased to provide you contact information for a patient of ours who previously underwent surgery by Dr. Chaffoo as a phone reference. We ask that you allow approximately an hour and a half for the consultation. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Chaffoo please visit our website at www.lajollaskin.com or call our practice at 858-623-6333.
Staff & Facilities
Most of our plastic surgery procedures are performed at the Surgical Center of San Diego or Ximed Surgery Center on the Scripps Memorial Hospital Campus. Both of these surgical facilities offer the highest level of confidentiality, certification, and safety available today. All of our surgical procedures are performed with a board certified Anesthesiologist who is part of the Scripps Memorial Hospital anesthesia group. Patient safety and comfort are our top priority for all our patients.
Dr. Chaffoo offers computer imaging for his aesthetic plastic surgery patients, especially for facial procedures like rhinoplasty.
Skin Care Products
Dr. Chaffoo’s wife, Susan M. Stuart, MD, is a board certified dermatologist and laser expert who works with Dr. Chaffoo and provides a variety of skin care products which she has helped develop over the years.
English as well as Spanish are spoken in our practice.
Dr. Chaffoo is aware that aesthetic (cosmetic) surgical procedures are not covered by insurance. For this reason, we offer a variety of finance options for patients to make plastic surgery more affordable. In addition, other payment options include American Express, Master Card, Visa, personal checks, and cash.