Lawrence Tong MD, FACS, FRCSC
About the Practice
Our mission is to provide our clients with an extraordinary cosmetic surgery experience, from beginning to end …and beyond.
Dr. Tong is exceedingly experienced in all facets of aesthetic (cosmetic) plastic surgery. He offers breast enhancement surgery ( Breast Augmenation , Breast Lift , Breast Reduction ), facial rejuvenation surgery ( Facelift , Neck Lift , Blepharoplasty , Rhinoplasty ), and body contouring ( Liposuction , Tummy Tuck , surgery after massive weight loss ). He also personally performs all non-surgical injectables such as BOTOX® , JUVÉDERM® , Restylane® , Perlane , and Esthellis at his Toronto plastic surgery office.
Background & Certification
Dr. Lawrence Tong is Board-Certified in Plastic Surgery by:
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery
- The Royal College of Physician and Surgeons of Canada
Dr. Lawrence Tong was born and raised in Toronto, a child to immigrant parents who sought a better life in Canada. Dr. Tong attended undergraduate studies at the University of Western Ontario, and Medical School at the University of Toronto.
To pursue his dreams of becoming a surgeon following medical school, Dr. Tong went to the world-renowned University of Michigan Medical Center, in Ann Arbor, where he underwent training in Plastic and Reconstructive surgery.
The University of Michigan Medical System consistently ranks as one of ‘the 10 Best hospitals in the United States’ by US News & World Report, ranking #9 overall in 2010-2011. Widely recognized as one of the best plastic surgery training programs in the United States, the U of M program enabled Dr. Tong to acquire his surgical skills, and refine his clinical acumen.
After finishing the seven-year plastic surgery training program, Dr. Tong went to practice at one of the largest and busiest Cosmetic Plastic Surgery practices in the state of Michigan, where he built a thriving practice, and loyal patient following.
During his ninth year of practice, Dr. Tong decided to return to Canada to be closer to family. He chose to set up his exclusive Toronto cosmetic surgery practice in the upscale Yorkville neighbourhood.
Dr. Tong used his accumulated knowledge and experience in America to conceive a full service Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Clinic that provides the highest quality surgical services and amenities possible.
Not only skilled in the clinical realm, Dr. Tong has been active in plastic surgery research and education.
While in practice in Michigan, he was part of the Providence Hospital/Wayne State University Plastic Surgery teaching staff, where he mentored, taught, and lectured plastic surgery fellows in training. Dr. Tong regularly attends plastic surgery conferences and symposia in order to keep abreast of the latest scientific findings, technologies, and trends in plastic surgery.
Publications and Presentations
1. Oppenheimer, AJ, Tong, L, Buchman, SR. Craniofacial Bone Grafting:Wolff's Law Revisited. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstruction, 1:49-62,2008
2. Tong L, Buchman SR, Ignelzi MA, Rhee S, Goldstein, SA. Focal AdhesionKinase Expression During Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis: Evidencefor Mechanotransduction, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, 111: 211-222,2003
3. Buchman, SR, Ignelzi, MA, Goldstein, SA, Rhee S, Tong L. Development of aUnique Rodent Model of Distraction Osteogenesis, Annals of Plastic Surgery 49(5): 511-519, 2002
4. Chung, KC, Tong, L. Use of Three Free flaps Based on a single vascularpedicle for Complex Reconstuction in an electrical Burn Injury: A Case Report. J Hand Surg 26(5):956-961, 2001
5. Tong, L, Bauer RJ, Buchman SR. A Current 10-Year Retrospective Survey of199 Surgically Treated Orbital Floor Fractures in a Nonurban Tertiary CareCenter. Plast Reconstr. Surg. 108: 612-621, 2001
6. Tong, L, Buchman SR. Facial Bone Grafts: Contemporary Science and Thought. J of Craniomaxillofac. Trauma 6(1): 31-41, Spring 2000
7. Tong, L, Buchman SR, Ignelzi, MA, Goldstein, SA. Focal Adhesion Kinase Immunolocalization during Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. Surgical Forum Vol XLX Pp. 615-618, October, 1999
8. Kasten, SJ, Chung, KC, Tong, L. Simultaneous Revascularization and soft Tissue Coverage in the Traumatized Upper Extremity with a Flow-through radial Forearm flap. J. Trauma 47(2);416-419, 1999
9. Tong L, Buchman SR, Goldstein S, Ignelzi M: Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) Expression During Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis: Plastic Surgical Forum, Vol XXII, Pp. 91-93; October 1999
10. Tong, L, Bannister, J, Freiberg, A. Plastic Surgery Review Section in Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination: Review Notes and LectureSeries, 1995 Edition.
ORAL PRESENTATIONS AND LECTURES
1. Rhinoplasty for the Beginning Plastic Surgeon. Presented at University of Toronto Resident’s Day, Toronto, Ontario, April 2011
2. Face Lift Techniques. Presented at University of Toronto Resident’s Day, Toronto, Ontario, April 2011April, 2011.
3. Fresh Face Panel. Presented at the 2010 American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual National meeting, Toronto, Ontario, October, 2010
4. My personal Face Lift technique. Presented at the Biannual Dingman Society meeting, Ann Arbor, MI, June 2009
5. Coding Cosmetic Procedures. Presented at the American Academy of Professional Coders Ann Arbor Michigan chapter meeting. Ann Arbor, MI. September, 2007
6. Monozygotic Twins with Identical Craniosynostoses: A case report. Presented at the Annual Reed O. Dingman Research Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, June 2001.
7. A Ten Year Retrospective Survey of Surgically Treated Orbital Floor Fractures at The University of Michigan. Presented at the Michigan
Academy of Plastics Surgeons Biannual meeting, Mackinac Island, MI, July 2000.
8. A Current 10-Year Retrospective Survey of Orbital Floor Fractures at the University of Michigan Medical Center. Presented at the Annual Reed O. Dingman Research Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, June 2000.
9. Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) expression during Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the American Society of Plastic and
Reconstructive Surgeons 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1999.
10. Focal adhesion Kinase immunolocalization during Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the 85th Annual Clinical
Congress of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, CA, October, 1999
11. Focal Adhesion Kinase expression “ppFAK125” is produced during Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the Annual Reed O. Dingman Research Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, June 1999.
12. Focal Adhesion Kinase (PPFAK125, FAK) is produced during Mandibular Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the Plastic Surgery Research Council 44th Annual meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, May 1999.
13. A Unique Rodent Model of Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the University of Michigan Dental School Orthodontics Presymposium, Ann Arbor, MI, January 1999.
14. Anatomy of the Innervated Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap: Neurosome of the Lateral Sural Cutaneous Nerve. Presented at Citywide interhospital Plastic Surgery Rounds, Toronto, Ontario March 1994
15. Anatomy of the Innervated Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap: Neurosome of the Lateral Sural Cutaneous Nerve. presented at The Eastern Great Lakes Head and Neck Oncology Association 17th annual meeting, Hamilton, Ontario, November 1993
1. Tong, L, Buchman, SR, Ignelzi, MA, Goldstein SA. Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK) is produced during Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the Annual Moses Gun Research Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, April 1999.
2. Tong, L, Buchman, SR, Ignelzi, MA, Goldstein SA. A Rat Model of Distraction Osteogenesis. Presented at the University of Michigan
Dental School Poster day, Ann Arbor, MI, 1999.
3. Tong, L, Mulholland, SR, Boyd, JB. Anatomy of the Innervated Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap: Neurosome of the Lateral Sural Cutaneous
Nerve. Presented at the University of Toronto Medical School Annual Research day, Toronto, Ontario, January, 1994.
1. Co-Moderator for Aesthetic Surgery Research Paper Presentations at the 2010 American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual National
meeting, Toronto, Ontario, October, 2010
Awards & Honors
University of Michigan Medical School Bronze Beeper Award
Awarded for excellence in medical student teaching
Dean’s Honor’s List, University of Toronto Medical School
The George Brown Memorial Award
Awarded for First place prize in clinical research at University of Toronto Medical School Research Day
Dr. Stuart Douglas Gordon Memorial Award
Scholarship stipend for research in plastic surgery
Affiliations & Memberships
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Member: American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon
Fellow: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Member: Reed O. Dingman Plastic Surgery Society
The consultation fee for seeing Dr. Tong as a new patient is $150 plus HST. Any consultation fees paid are applied to future surgery or procedures, including Botox or fillers.
A valid credit card number is required for payment at the time of booking your consultation.
Staff & Facilities
Everything is planned to maximize your Convenience and Safety.
Your consultation, surgery, overnight stay, and follow-up visits are all conducted at one site: our Yorkville plastic surgery complex at 199 Avenue Road.
The building was carefully designed to incorporate a discreet back entrance off Pears Avenue, facing the natural splendor of Rasmden Park. Walk into the lobby, and be transported to a place of beauty and luxury. Our office is sumptuously decorated and exceptionally comfortable.
The CAAASF accredited surgical facility is an example of world-class technology and efficiency. It is arguably the premiere Cosmetic Surgery Operating Facility in Toronto, if not all of Canada. In fact, the foremost national conference of Canadian Cosmetic Plastic Surgeons (The Canadian Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) conducts its live surgical symposium in our facility, every four years. This past October 2010, we welcomed hundreds of surgeons from North America and around the world to view and demonstrate their craft at 199 Avenue Road.
Our overnight stay centre is available for you to be pampered, as you recover during your first night following surgery. Staffed by our specialized nurses, the centre was established for the comfort and convenience of cosmetic surgery patients in mind.
Our quotes are broken down to show:
- Surgeon’s fee
- Anesthesia fee
- Operating room fees
- Any additional items such as implants and garments
- Cosmetic surgery procedures are taxable, and HST is collected on the fees
- Quotes are good for 6 months from the date of initial consultation
We accept credit cards, certified cheque, money order, bank draft, and cash.
We require a deposit at the time of booking your surgery. The deposit is needed to secure the operating room, nursing staff, and anesthesia staff necessary for your procedure, on the chosen date. The deposit is typically 25% of the total fees.
We require full payment of the balance of total fees at least 3 weeks in advance of your surgery date. Payments can be made in installments if requested.