Michele A. Shermak MD
About the Practice
A highly skilled plastic surgeon regularly recognized in Baltimore Magazine’s annual “Top Doc” peer survey, Dr. Michele Shermak focuses on helping her patients achieve their best version of themselves. Dr. Shermak trained at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and remained on faculty at Johns Hopkins for 11 years until transitioning to private practice in 2010.
Dr. Shermak is an internationally recognized expert in breast and body contouring, publishing scientific articles, chapters and a definitive textbook, with a focus on patient safety and individualizing and optimizing surgical outcomes. Dr. Shermak regularly presents talks at national meetings and served as a visiting professor for the national plastic surgery society, teaching plastic surgery trainees and faculty around the country plastic surgery techniques and safety.
Whether her patients desire liposuction, tummy tuck, bodylifts, breast or facial rejuvenation, Dr. Shermak listens to her patients carefully to assure their goals are met. Dr. Shermak has a very active practice in breast reconstruction and complex revision surgery as well. Dr. Shermak’s goals for her patients stem from her patients, and their happiness is her happiness. Dr. Shermak’s motto is: “This is your life... Make it beautiful!” She seeks to achieve beauty for her patients physically, mentally and spiritually, on all levels. “Can I give you a hug?” is one of the favorite quotes she hears from her patients, and she hears it often.
Face: Browlift, Blepharoplasty, Facelift, Necklift, Neck Liposuction, Facial Fat Transfer
Breast: Breast Augmentation, Breastlift, Breast Reduction, Breast Reconstruction for Cancer, Breast Asymmetry, Breast Implant Revision, Gynecomastia, Fat Transfer to the Breast
Body: Armlift, Tummy Tuck, Backlift, Thighlift, Liposuction, Fat Transfer
Minimally Invasive: Botox, Dysport, Restylane L, Restylane Silk, Restylane Lyft, Juvederm, Voluma, Volbella, Chemical Peels
Background & Certification
American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2000; With Maintenance of Certification
College: Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA - Grad 1988 with B.A.
Medical School: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD – Grad1992 with M.D.
Internship: Johns Hopkins Department of Surgery, Baltimore, MD – 1992-3
Integrated Residency in Plastic Surgery: Johns Hopkins – University of MD, 1992-8
Cosmetic Fellowship: Baptist Hospital, Nashville, TN - 1998
Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery, Johns Hopkins Department of Plastic Surgery
Part Time Faculty, Johns Hopkins Department of Plastic Surgery
Publications and Presentations
- Shermak MA. Thoughts on Corset Trunkplasty: Recommended with Abdominal Skin Laxity and Subcostal Scar. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jan;141(1):70-73.
- Shermak MA. Commentary on: Incidence and Risk Factors of Major Complications in Brachioplasty: Analysis of 2,294 Patients. Aesthet Surg J. 2016 36: 804-806.
- Shermak MA. Aesthetic Refinements in Body Contouring in the Massive Weight Loss Patient- Part 2: Arms. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Nov;134(5):726e-735e.
- Manahan MA, Buretta KJ, Chang D, Mithani SK, Mallalieu J, Shermak MA. An outcomes analysis of 2142 breast reduction procedures. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 Mar;74(3):289-92.
- Shermak MA. The application of barbed sutures in body contouring surgery. Aesthet Surg J. 2013 Sep;33(3 Suppl):72S-5S.
- Shermak MA. Pearls and perils of caring for the postbariatric body contouring patient. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Oct;130(4):586e-97e.
- Shermak MA. CME – Body contouring. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Jun;129(6):963e-978e.
- Shermak MA, Chang D, Buretta K, Mithani S, Mallalieu JE, Manahan MA. Increasing age impairs outcomes in breast reduction surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Dec;128(6):1182-7.
- Reavey PL, Klassen AF, Cano SJ, McCarthy C, Scott A, Rubin JP, Shermak MA, Pusic AL. Measuring quality of life and patient satisfaction after body contouring: a systematic review of patient-reported outcome measures. Aesthet Surg J. 2011 Sep; 31(7):807-13
- Shermak MA. Volumetry: A New Dimension in Massive Weight Loss. Bariatric Times 8: 10-1, August 2011.
- Shermak MA. Shermak MA. Reply to: Skin closure with absorbable staples in aesthetic surgery. In Press – accepted for publication to Plast Reconstr Surg
- Shermak MA. Reply to: Body Contouring with the V-loc Suture. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 Jul;128(1):333.
- Shermak MA. Abdominoplasty: Procedures and Perioperative Care. OR Nurse 2011 Jan.; 20-7.
- Shermak MA. Brachioplasty Following Massive Weight Loss. Bariatric Times 2010 May;7(5): 16-18.
- Shermak MA, Mallalieu JE, Chang D. Barbed Suture Impact on Wound Closure in Body Contouring Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010 Nov;126(5):1735-41.
- Shermak, MA, Mahaffey G. Preventing Liposuction Complications. OR Nurse January 2011;31(1):16-20.
- Shermak MA, Choo S, Mallalieu JE, Chang D. Do pre-existing abdominal scars threaten wound healing in abdominoplasty? Eplasty. 2010 Jan 18;10:e14.
- Choo S, Marti G, Nastai M, Shermak MA. Biomechanical Properties of Skin in Massive Weight Loss Patients. Obes Surg. 2010 Oct; 20(10): 1422-8.
- Shermak MA, Choo S, Mallalieu JE, Chang D. Financial analysis of factors impacting reimbursement for abdominoplasty. Obes Surg. 2009 Sep;19(9):1236-9. Epub 2009 Jul 15.
- Shermak MA, Mallalieu JE, Chang D. Does thighplasty for upper thigh laxity after massive weight loss require a vertical incision? Aesthet Surg J. 2009 Nov-Dec;29(6):513-22.
- Shermak MA. Management of Back Rolls. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 28(3): 348-358, 2008.
- Most D, Heller J, Shermak MA. Thromboembolism in Plastic Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 115(2): 20e, February 2005.
Awards & Honors
- AMA Women Physicians Section Inspirational Physician Recognition Program, 2017.
- PSEF Plastic Surgery Visiting Professorship program, 2017-8.
- Baltimore Magazine Top Doc in Plastic Surgery: Body Contouring, 2014; Breast, 2016; Reconstructive, Aesthetic, Facial, Breast, Body Contouring, 2017.
- Top 100 Women, Baltimore Business Journal, 2013, 2017.
- America’s Top Surgeons 2011.
- ASPS/PSEF Pathways to Leadership Program, 2008.
- Winning poster presentation at The American Academy of Physician Assistants Clinical and Scientific Affairs Council, 16th Annual Clinical and Professional Poster Session. Seroma Development following Body Contouring Surgery for Massive Weight Loss: Patient Risk Factors and Treatment Strategies. Philadelphia, PA. May 2007.
- Johns Hopkins Leadership Development Program (LDP), 2007-8.
- Local host, American Society Plastic Surgery (ASPS) National Meeting, 2007.
- Invitation/participation in ASPS conference for upcoming leaders in plastic surgery, 2002
- John Staige Davis Society Best Resident Paper and Presentation Award, 1996.
- Magna cum Laude, Franklin and Marshall College, 1988.
- Phi Beta Kappa, Franklin and Marshall College, 1987-1988
- Dana Scholar, Franklin and Marshall College, 1987-1988
- Alpha Kappa Delta, International Sociology Honor Society, Franklin and Marshall College, 1988.
- Huffnagle Scholarship in Chemistry, Franklin and Marshall College, 1985.
- Hackman Scholarship in Biology, Franklin and Marshall College, 1985.
Affiliations & Memberships
University of Maryland-St. Joseph Medical Center, Towson, MD
Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC), Towson, MD
Northwest Hospital, Randallstown, MD
Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, MD
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD
American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS)
American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
American Association of Plastic Surgeons (AAPS)
Maryland Society of Plastic Surgeons
American College of Surgeons
Editor, Plastic Surgery News
Judicial (Ethics) Committee
Board of Directors, ASPS
The Plastic Surgery Center of Maryland, Lutherville, MD
Staff & Facilities
Surgical Specialty Suites Inc., Lutherville, MD
University of Maryland – St. Joseph Medical Center, Towson, MD
GBMC, Towson, MD
Northwest Hospital, Randallstown, MD
Skin Care Products
ZO Skin Care, Biocorneum
Cash, Credit Card, Financing