Is this Rectus Diastasis?

Since having my first child 8 years ago I have had a bulge that appears when I contract my abs at the top of my stomach near my ribs, very painful and random at first! Is this Rectus Diastasis?

I always thought it was from the c-section, but after seeing and asking so many doctors, even getting a cat scan that showed nothing, I've been left unable to do ab exercises for 8 years and still have a bulge near the top of my ribs on the left that bulges out when I try to exercise. And now have for the first time in my life a bit of a tummy from lack of exercise. Not happy and I need to know what I can do? Is it ONLY surgery that can help me?

Possibly, so consult a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in-person evaluation. Based upon your description, bulging weakness of the upper abdominal wall mid-line, is probably diastasis rectus. This is unlikely to improve with exercises, and abdominoplasty / tummy tuck is an excellent way to restore mid-line support. Tummy tuck also provides enhanced muscle tone and contour, reduced tummy fat and tighter skin.

I would recommend looking at other causes for your pain, since diastasis is usually painless.

Sutton L. Graham, II., MD, FACS
Sutton L. Graham, II., MD, FACS
615 Halton RdGreenvilleSC29607US

Sutton L. Graham, II., MD, FACS

615 Halton Rd, #100, Greenville, SC,


An examination or photographs would be required to answer your question. You could have a Flank hernia or defect? Consider seeking out a member of the ASAPS in your area. They are experts in hernia repair & Body Countouring.


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD, FACS
Gary R. Culbertson, MD, FACS
18 Miller RdSumterSC29150US

Gary R. Culbertson, MD, FACS

18 Miller Rd, Sumter, SC, UNITED STATES,