Things You Can Do to PREVENT Wrinkles, Other Than Not Smiling
I’m not gonna lie, I have had a laugh, cackle, guffaw and chortle cut short recently, because something in my brain reminded me that I was doing something far more significant than giddily enjoying myself and the moment - I was possibly setting my already apparent marionette lines and crow’s feet into a downward spiral of being etched even deeper into my once wrinkle-free face.
Yep, we all gave Kim K flak for saying she doesn’t smile in photos to prevent wrinkles and there I was, holding visual laughter inside for the sake of getting carded at a bar, which I never do, because A. who am I kidding? and B. when was the last time I went to a bar?
That being said, there are myriad ways to prevent wrinkles without pathetically holding back from a smile, chuckle, or full on belly laugh and here they are:
1. Avoid the Sun: This should be written in a neon sign at the top of this list. Sun exposure is the number one cause of wrinkles … more than heredity. Numerous studies have shown siblings have huge variances in the amount of wrinkles they acquire later in life, which can be directly correlated to differences in the amount of sun exposure they’ve had.
2. Don’t Smoke: Smoking breaks down collagen and elastin in your skin leaving it looser and prone to sagging and wrinkles.
3. Sleep on Your Back: The way you sleep does cause sleep lines which turn into wrinkles over time. It is best to sleep on your back. If that is impossible, then swap your cotton pillow case for a satin one. Alternatively, you could replace your pillow with a beauty sleep pillow made with a special foam, with a unique shape that alleviates pressure on the face.
4. Give Yourself a Facial Massage: Facial massage is an ancient Japanese practice which involves simply pressing and stroking the face. This small addition to your regimen will help slough off dead skin, increase blood flow, reduce puffiness, remove toxins and help soften wrinkles. Tip: Use a light milky moisturizer, with your finger tips and palms always moving in a circular motion and directed upward with mild pressure and repeat daily.
5. Wear Sunscreen: Clearly, we can’t really strictly adhere to number 1 and live as hermits indoors. That would be depressing and who would get to see our young fresh faces in the best natural light? So, the next best thing is sunblock. Wear it daily and unsparingly.
6. Use a Moisturizer with Retinol at Night: You should moisturize daily to keep your skin hydrated, but if you’re trying to prevent wrinkles, Retinol will add that extra oomph. It will help slough off the dead skin and promote the production of collagen which will help keep those little lines at bay.
7. Chemical Peel: Light, medium and deep chemical peels are a popular nonsurgical cosmetic procedure used to peel away the skin’s top layer to improve sun-damaged, unevenly pigmented and wrinkled skin. You can learn more about the procedure here
Good luck and may the forces of nature not be with you!