Stefano Fusi MD
About the Practice
Meet Dr. Fusi
Stefano Fusi, M.D. was born in the town of Montecatini, Terme (nearby Florence) Italy. He grew up in Rome where he pursued and received his medical degree from the city's own Università di Roma.
Dr. Fusi moved to the United States in order to complete his education, and underwent both his General and Plastic Surgery training in the United States - the former in Pittsburgh, the latter at Yale University School of Medicine.
Certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Dr. Fusi maintains active membership in a number of professional medical societies.
Dr. Fusi became an Assistant Clinical Professor in Surgery and Plastic Surgery in 1993, and was elected by his peers as the Associate Chief of Plastic Surgery at Yale New Haven Hospital in 2001. He entered into private practice in 1991 and currently specializes and holds extensive experience in the following areas of plastic surgery:
- Breast Reconstructionreconstructivebreast.htm
- Cosmetic Surgerycosmetic.htm
- Craniofacial Surgeryreconstructivecraniofacial.htm
- Head and Neck Reconstructionreconstructivehead.htm
- Skin Cancerreconstructive_skincancer.htm
Dr. Fusi specializes in the following areas of expertise:
Cosmetic Plastic Surgical Procedures
Learn more about our cosmetic procedures including: Abdominoplasty, Liposuction, Face Lifts and Breast Augmentations.
Reconstructive Plastic Surgical Procedures
Some of our reconstructive procedures include: Breast Reconstruction, Hand Surgery and Microsurgery, click here to read more about these procedures and more.
Learn more about Botox®, Callagen Injection, Fat Transfer and more.
Letters From Patients (Testimonials)
Dear Dr. Fusi,
You have touched a universe and made a difference in someone's life.
This gift will remind you of the impact you have had on my universe and life.
The brightness you add through your smile, your care, your time, your patience illuminates one's darker moments.
Even in the darkness of the universe there exists that unique glow of a star that shines brighter and stands out from all the rest.
Maybe, just maybe, it is an Angel watching over us in some special way.
For all you have done (your shine) for all you will do (your glow) for your skill that touches one's universe, for the difference you make, a star has been named in your honor!
"Dr. StephAngel Fusi"
For it was a time when I needed an Angel and you were there as a part of my journey.
I was sure lucky to have had you shine on my universe and that of my family and loved ones.
Dear Dr. Fusi, Kirstyn & Anita,
Just a note to say Thank you for making this experience so enjoyable and comfortable for me!
You guys are awesome!
Dr. Fusi, Kirstyn & Anita,
I just wanted to send a quick note to thank-you all so much for your wonderful care and concern you showed me during my surgery & there after.
You truly made me feel so calm on the day of my surgery.
All the wonderful things people say about you are 100% true.
Thank-you so much from the bottom of my heart, for giving me a new look & new self-esteem.
I am forever grateful
I am so proud to be part of the "Dr. Fusi Fan Club".
You really are the best!!!
Words cannot express my gratitude.
Your kindness and reassuring manner have given me such a sense of peace throughout this journey.
Background & Certification
Board Certified in General Surgery
Board Certified in Plastic Surgery
EDUCATION AND DEGREES:
Liceo Classico, E.Q. Visconti School, Rome Italy, BA (Maturità Classica) 1974
University of Rome, School of Medicine, M.D. Summa Cum Laude, Rome, Italy 1980
University of New Haven, School of Business, Master of Business Administration, 2002
Postdoctoral Fellow, 1981-1983, Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine
Resident in General Surgery 1983-1987, Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Chief Resident in General Surgery, 1987-1988, Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Resident in Plastic Surgery, 1988-1989, Yale University, New Haven, CT
Chief Resident in Plastic Surgery, 1989-1990, Yale University, New Haven, CT
Fellow in Craniofacial Surgery, University of Miami Children's Hospital, July-December 1990
Clinical Assistant Professor in Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery
Yale University School of Medicine
Associate Chief Plastic Surgery - Yale New Haven Hospital
Publications and Presentations
1. Fusi S., Sasson H., Bahtijarane Z., Ariyan S.: Reconstruction of composite loss of the heel with free flap, allogeneic and isogeneic bone graft. Annals of Plastic Surgery(in press)
2. Sai Sudhakar C.B., Forman D.L., Dewar M.L., Shaw R.K., Fusi S.: Free radial artery graft: Surgical technique. Annals of Plastic Surgery Annals of Plastic Surgery 40(4) 408-412,1998
3. Isenberg J., Fusi, S.: Achilles tendon reconstruction with composite forearm palmaris longus tendon free flap. Annals of Plastic Surgery 34(2):209-211, 1995
4. Fusi S., Watson HK, Cuono C.B.: Carpal Boss: Twenty year follow-up of operative management Journal of Hand Surgery 20B: 3: 405-408, 1995
5. Fusi S., Sternlight A., Ariyan S.: Data on first recurrence after treatment for malignant melanoma in a large patient population. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 91(1): 94-98, 1993.
6. Wolfe SA, Fusi S: Treatment of the particularly fatty neck and the short interval secondary facelift. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 15(2): 195-201, 1991.
7. Fusi S. Kupper ST, Greee Dr. Ariyan S: Reversal of post-burn immunosuppression by the administration of Vitamin A. Surgery 96:330-334, 1984.
8. Boss WK, Fusi S, Chandry IH, Clems MG, Chater G, Laub D, Cuono C, Ariyan S: Improved skin flap survival with adenosine triphosphate-magnesium chloride. Presented at the 70th Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, October 1984, Surgical Forum 35:576, 1984.
9. Fusi S, Ariyan S: Effect of radiation therapy on the rate of wound contraction. Presented at the 69th Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons, Atlanta, Georgia. Surgical Forum 35:620, 1983.
10. Ernstoff MS, Fusi S, Rudnick S, Kirkwood JM: Parameters of interferon action preliminary results II. Immunological effects of whole cell leukocyte interferon (NF Alpha) in phase 1-11 trials. JBRM 2(6):528, 1983.
11. Ernstoff MS, Fusi S, Rudnick S, Kirkwood JM: Parameters of interferon action preliminary results II. Immunological effects of recombinant leukocyte interferon (IFN Alpha -2) in phase 1-11 trials. JBRM 2(6)540, 1983.
12. Boss WK, Barese S, Fusi S, Odenheimer D, Freeman D, Heinrich JJ, Cuono CB: Antibacterial efficacy of xenogeneic amniotic membranes as biologic dressing for infected wounds. Surgical Forum 33:600, 1982.
1. Kirkwood JM, Rudnick SA, Ernstoff MS, Davis CA, Fusi S, Ariyan S: Toxicity, anti-tumor and immunological effects observed during a phase trial of recombinant interferon Alpha 2. Proceedings, 13th International Congress of Chemotherapy, Vienna, Austria, SE 12.5.4-12:45, 1983.
2. Ernstoff MS, Fusi S, Kirkwood JM: Natural Killer activity (NKA) and T-cell subsets in cancer patients treated with whole cell leukocyte or recombinant interferon (IFN). Presented at the 5th International Congress of Immunology, Kyoto, Japan, 1983.
3. Kirkwood JM, Ernstoff MS, Rudnick SA, Davis CA, Fusi S, Herbert FZ, Marsh JC: Intramuscular (IM) recombinant interferon Alpha 2 (IFN-2) in a phase I immunopharmacological study in man. Proceedings, ASCO, 19(2):C-233, 1983.
4. Fusi S, Herbert GZ, Ariyan S, Ernstoff MS, Kirkwood JM: Parameter of interferon action: T-cell subsets and NK function during a phase I trial of recombinant human interferon Alpha-2. Clinical Research 10(3):634, 1982.
1. Forman D.L., Fusi S. : The "no touch "technique of radial artery harvesting for use in coronary artery bypass graft procedure. Presented at the 14th annual meeting of the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgeon, Bermuda October 1997.
2. Herber S., Fusi S., : Reconstruction of Nasal Frontal Meningo Encephalocele. Presented at the 9th annual meeting of the Northeastern Society Plastic Surgeons, Bermuda, Oct.92.
3. Fusi S., Leffel D., Ariyan S.: Topical 13-cis retonic acid enhances flap survival. Presented at the 35th annual meeting of the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation Research council, Washington University, May 1990.
4. Fusi S., Watson H.K. Cuono CB: Carpal Boss: Twenty Year Follow-up of operative Management . Presented at the 17th annual meeting New England Hand Society, Sturbridge, December 89.
5. Fusi S., Leffel D., Ariyan S: Topical 13-cis retonic acid enchances flap survival. Presented at the New York academy of Medicine Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Medicine: 3rd place prize, New York, May 1990.
6. Fusi S., Ariyan S., Sternlight A.: Data on first recurrence after treatment for malignant melanoma in a large patient population. Presented to the 69th annual meeting of the American Association of Plastic Surgery, Hot Springs, Virginia, May 1989.
7. Fusi S, Ariyan S: Simultaneous allograft and free fasciocutaneous flap for heel reconstruction. Presented at the 6th Annual Meeting of the Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgery, Newport, Rhode Island, October 1989.
8. Fusi S. Watson HK , Cuono CB: Carpal Boss: twenty year follow-up of operative management presented at the 19th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Hand Surgery, San Francisco, California, October 1989.
9. Boss WK, Fusi S, Chandry IH, Clems MG, Chater G. Laub D. Cuono C, Ariyan S: Improved skin flap survival with adenosine triphosphate-magnesium chloride. Presented at the 70th Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, October 1984.
10. Fusi S, Kupper T, Ariyan S: Reversal of post-burn immunosuppression by administration of Vitamin A. Presented at the 45th Annual Meeting of the Society of University Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois, February 1984.
11. Fusi S, Ariyan S: Effect of radiation therapy on the rate of wound contraction. Presented at the 69th Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons, Atlanta, Georgia. 1983.
12. Fusi S, Ariyan S: An experimental model to determine the effects of radiation on wound healing. Presented at the 28th Annual Meeting of the Plastic Research Council, Duke University, May 1983.
13. Boss WK, Barese S, Fusi S, Odenheimer D, Freeman D, Heinrich JJ. Cuono CB: Antibacterial efficacy of xenogeneic amniotic membranes as biologic dressing for infected wounds. Presented at the 68th Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons. 1982.
14. S. Fusi Herbert GZ, Ariyan S, Ernstoff MS, Kirkwood JM: Parameter of interferon action: T-cell subsets and NK function during a phase I trial of recombinant human interferon Alpha-2. Presented at the American Federation of Clinical Research Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts. 1982.
Affiliations & Memberships
American College of Surgeons - Fellow
American Society of Plastic Surgeons- Member
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery - Member
American Society of MaxilloFacial Surgeons - Member
American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association - Member
New England Hand Society - Member
Northeastern Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery - Member
International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery - Member
New England Society of Plastic Surgery - Member