Richard J. Restifo MD
About the Practice
Our practice is committed to Excellence in Plastic Surgery of the Breast and Body. By concentrating on these areas we are able to provide the expertise and experience that is necessary to provide optimal outcomes. Our foremost concerns are patient safety and patient satisfaction. An individualized approach is taken that considers patients' goals, concerns, and lifestyles.
Breast Augmentation, Breast Lift, Breast Reduction, Breast Reconstruction, Abdominoplasty, "Mommy Makeovers", Liposuction, Post-Bariatric and Body Contouring
Background & Certification
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Restifo graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry and went on to receive his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He then completed a General Surgery residency at Georgetown University followed by his Plastic Surgery training at the University of Pittsburgh. Following this he became a faculty member in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Yale University School of Medicine. In 1998 Dr. Restifo entered into private practice in New Haven and Fairfield counties, specializing in Plastic Surgery of the Breast and Body.
Publications and Presentations
- Restifo, RJ. The SPAIR Mammaplasty. A Useful Alternative to Vertical Mammaplasty. Annals of Plastic Surgery42:428, 1999
- Restifo, RJ. The Aesthetic Subunit Principle in Late TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery42:235, 1999
- Restifo, RJ. The Inferior Pedicled L-Scar Mammaplasty. Operative Techniques in Plastic Surgery6:119, 1999
- Restifo, RJ, et al. TRAM Flap Perforator Ligation and the Delay Phenomenon: Development of an Endoscopic/Laparoscopic Delay Procedure. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery101:503, 1998
- Restifo, RJ, et al. Timing, Magnitude, and Utility of Delay in the TRAM Flap. Part II: Clinical Studies. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery99:1217, 1999
- Restifo, RJ et al. Prostacylclin Production at the Human Microvascular Anastomosis: Its Effect on Platelet Deposition.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery97:184, 1996.
- Restifo, RJ, Nauta, RJ. Prophylaxis of Venous Thromboembolism. Contemporary Surgery, 37:45. 1990
- Restifo, RJ, et al. Surgical Delay in TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction: A Comparison of 7 and 14 day Delay Periods. Annals of Plastic Surgery38:330, 1997
- Restifo RJ. Secondary Use of the Rectus Muscle Pedicle for TRAM Flap Volume Deficiencies. Annals of Plastic Surgery40, 343. 1998
- Restifo, RJ et al. Vertical Mamaplasty: Technique and Complications. Surgical Technology InternationalVII:443, 1998
- Restifo, RJ. The Preconditioned TRAM Flap: Initial Clinical Experience. Annals of Plastic Surgery41:343, 1998
- Restifo, RJ. Surgically Delayed TRAM Flap: Scientific Foundations and Clinical Applications.Perspectives in Plastic Surgery. 14:55, 2000.
- Restifo RJ.TRAM Revisions and Contralateral Mammaplasties. The Role of "Mirror Image" Skin Patterns. Seminars in Plastic Surgery18:245, 2004
- Restifo RJ. The Robbins Inferior Pedicle Reduction Mammaplasty. Mastopexy and Breast Reduction. Principles and Practice. Springer-Verlag 2009, Chapter 54.
- Restifo RJ. The Short Scar Periareolar Reduction Mammaplasty. Mastopexy and Breast Reduction. Principles and Practice. Springer-Verlag 2009, Chapter 56.
Awards & Honors
Best Doctors in America 1996-2012, Castle-Connelly Top Doctor's New York Metro Area 2006-2012, U.S. News and World Report Best Doctors 2012, Patient's Choice Award 2009-2012, Compassionate Doctor Award 2011-2012.
Affiliations & Memberships
Yale/New Haven Hospital, St. Vincent's Medical Center
American Society of Plastic Surgery, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Northeastern Society of Plastic Surgery, Connecticut Society of Plastic Surgery.
Staff & Facilities
New England Surgery Center, a AAASF certified facility.
Vectra XT System