M. Mark Mofid MD
About the Practice
Dr. Mark Mofid and his cosmetic surgery staff offer compassionate, conscientious, and personalized care from the first introduction through well beyond the treatment recovery period. They go to great lengths to make the cosmetic surgery experience as seamless and pleasant as possible for our patients, but further to ensure that each patient’s experience is individualized to his or her own needs.
The mission of Dr. Mofid’s practice is to:
- Provide our valued patients with the highest quality, state-of-the-art cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery.
- Commit every effort to achieving results of only the most unsurpassed quality.
- Stay abreast of the most advanced and up-to-date techniques in plastic surgery for the benefit of our patients.
- Render compassionate, conscientious, and personalized care from the first introduction through well beyond the treatment recovery period.
- Recognize that our patients’ time is valuable and, therefore, see each patient for consultation in a timely manner.
- Provide each patient with an honest, accurate, thorough, and individualized consultation.
- Spend the time necessary with each patient to truly understand his or her concerns and goals.
- Consult outside physicians and resources when it benefits the patient.
- Provide all patients with complete and timely responses to their questions.
- Provide each patient with direct access to the physician.
- Treat our patients with the utmost respect and dignity, as if they were members of our own family.
- Make every effort to ensure that the plastic surgery experience is as comfortable and seamless as possible.
One of the first attributes that you will notice about board-certified plastic surgeon, Mark Mofid , M.D FACS in San Diego, is that his warm and caring nature helps to put people at ease. Dr. Mofid is highly regarded by patients and peers alike for his surgical skills and artistic vision that have enabled him to achieve beautiful and natural-looking enhancements for hundreds of patients in La Jolla and other San Diego areas. Plastic surgery procedures including rhinoplasty , breast augmentation , and liposuction are customized by Dr. Mofid according to patient concerns and expectations from surgery.
Our practice gives you the opportunity to avoid the minutes wasted filling out paper work in the office by evading that step. You can now download, print, and fill out the new patient documents at home. Just click on the links below and download them onto your computer.
Background & Certification
American Board of Plastic Surgery
American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
PLASTIC, RECONSTRUCTIVE AND AESTHETIC SURGERY,San Diego_, California_.
- Private practice, July 2004 to present. Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery November 2006. Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery September 2007. Medical Board of California licensure #A83432.
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery, Voluntary Faculty, March 2004 to present. Faculty for the UCSD Aesthetic Fellowship 2011-2012.
THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY COMBINED TRAINING PROGRAM IN GENERAL AND PLASTIC SURGERY,Baltimore, Maryland.
- Residency, July 1997- June 2004.
- Concentrated study of craniofacial distraction osteogenesis.
THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, Baltimore_, Maryland_.
- Doctor of Medicine, May 1997.
- Class Rank: top fifth.
- Bachelor of Arts degree Magna Cum Laude in Government, June 1993.
- John Harvard Scholarship (1990-1993).
- High School degree, June 1989.
- Bank of America scholarships in science and mathematics.
Dr. Mofid is a clinical faculty member of the University of California, San Diego’s Division of Plastic Surgery.
Publications and Presentations
1. Mofid, M., Handel, N., Shestak, K, Singh, N, Nahai, F. Explantation Mastopexy: Challenges, Techniques and Lessons. (in progress).
2. Kadri, O., Moosa, S., Mofid, M. Abdominoplasty Revision Using Tissue Expansion. Aesth Plast Surg(scheduled for publication Volume 37, No. 3, June 2013 DOI 10.1007/s00266-013-0104-6).
3. Mofid, M., Gonzalez, R, de la Pena, J, Mendieta C, Senderoff, D., Jorjani, S. Buttock Augmentation with Silicone Implants: A Multicenter Review of 2226 Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 131:897-901, 2013.
4. Mofid, M., Meininger, M., Lacey, M.**Veritas® Bovine Pericardium for Immediate Breast Reconstruction: A Xenograft Alternative to Acellular Dermal Matrix Products. Eur J Plast Surg 35:717-722, 2012.
5. Mofid, M. Acellular Dermal Matrix in Cosmetic Breast Procedures and Capsular Contracture. Aesth Surg J31:77S-84S, 2011.
6. Mofid, M.A Novel Technique for the Repositioning of Lower Eyelid Fat Via the Transoral Approach In Association with Midfacelift. Aesth Plast Surg35 (4) 563-568, 2011.
7. Mofid, M. Free TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction Using the Synovis MCA® Venous Anastamotic Coupler and Abdominal Wall Reinforcement Using Veritas® Bovine Pericardium. Technique Paper published by Synovis Surgical Innovations, Inc. 2010.
8. Mofid, M. Tissue Expander/Implant Breast Reconstruction Following Mastectomy and Revisionary Breast Surgery Using Veritas® Bovine Pericardium. Technique Paper published by Synovis Surgical Innovations, Inc. 2010.
9. Mofid, M. and Singh, N. Pocket Conversion Made Easy: A Simple Technique Using Alloderm® to Convert Subglandular Breast Implants to the Dual Plane Position. Aesth Surg J 29:12-18,2009.
10. Mofid, M., Singh, N., Klatsky, S., and Nahabedian, M. Nipple-areola complex sensibility after primary breast augmentation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 117:1694,2006.
11. Schreiber, J., Girotto, J., Mofid, M., Singh, N. and Nahabedian, M. Comparison Study of Nipple-Areolar Sensation After Reduction Mammaplasty. Aesth Surg J 24:320-323, 2004.
12. Li, EN, Mofid, M., Goldberg, N. and**Silverman, R. Surgical management of hidradenitis suppurativa of the nipple-areola complex. Ann Plast Surg. 52:220,2004.
13. Mofid, M., Inoue, N., Tufaro, A., Vander Kolk, C. and Manson, P. Spring-mediated mandibular distraction osteogenesis. J Craniofac Surg. 14:756,2003.
14. Mofid, M., Nahabedian, M., Manson, P., Elias, J. and Dellon, A. Quantitation of breast sensibility following reduction mammaplasty: A comparison of inferior and medial pedicle techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg. 109:2283,2002.
15. Nahabedian, M. and Mofid, M. Viability and sensation of the nipple-areolar complex after reduction mammaplasty. Ann Plast Surg. 49:24,2002.
16. Mofid, M., Inoue, N., Atabey, A., Marti, G., Chao, E., Manson, P. and Vander Kolk, C. Callus stimulation in distraction osteogenesis. Plast Reconstr Surg. 109:1621,2002.
17. Mofid, M., Manson, P., Robertson, B., Tufaro, A., Elias, J. and Vander Kolk, C. Craniofacial distraction osteogenesis: A review of 3,278 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 109:5,2001.
18. Mofid, M., Spence, R. and Manson, P. Plastic Surgery. In Evidence Based Surgery. [ed. Gordon, T. and Cameron, J.] Ontario: B.C. Decker, 2000. pp 509-540.
19. Mofid, M., Thompson, R., Pardo, C., Manson, P. and Vander Kolk, C.A. Biocompatibility of fixation materials in the brain. Plast Reconstr Surg. 100:14,1997.
1. "Buttock Augmentation with Silicone Implants: A Multicenter Review of 2226 Patients” Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Quebec City, Canada, September 15, 2012. (winner of Ralph Millard Best Paper Award)
2. "Complex Abdominal Wall Repair: Critical Success Factors.” Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference (Sponsored by Georgetown University Hospital). Washington, D.C., June 15, 2012.
3. "Veritas® Bovine Pericardium for Immediate Breast Reconstruction: A Xenograft Alternative to Acellular Dermal Matrix Products.” California Society of Plastic Surgeons. Coronado, CA, May 27, 2012 and Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Quebec City, Canada, September 15, 2012.
4. "Nasal and Lip Reconstruction: State of the Art; Aesthetic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss; The Use of Biologic Grafts for Aesthetic And Reconstructive Plastic Surgery; Lower Eyelid Fat Transposition via the Transoral Technique in Association with Midfacelift.” Third Costa Rican, Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. San Jose, Costa Rica. November 10-12, 2011.
5. "A Novel Technique for the Repositioning of Lower Eyelid Fat Via the Transoral Approach in Association with Midfacelift." California Society of Plastic Surgeons. Monterey, CA, May 29, 2011.
6. "Blepharoplasty Panel: Prevention and Treatment of Complications." California Society of Plastic Surgeons. Monterey, CA, May 30, 2011.
7. "Bovine Pericardium: An Emerging Choice in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction for the Plastic Surgeon." Annual Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference. Washington DC, June 18, 2010.
8. " Your First Five Years in Practice." Annual Meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Resident Forum. Vancouver, Canada May 2012; Boston, MA May 2011; Washington DC, April 2010 and Las Vegas, NV, May 2009.
9. "Pocket Conversion Made Easy: A Simple Technique Using Alloderm® to Convert Subglandular Breast Implants to the Dual Plane Position." 77th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Chicago, IL, October 2008.
10. "Pocket Conversion Made Easy: A Simple Technique Using Alloderm® to Convert Subglandular Breast Implants to the Dual Plane Position." California Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Dana Point, CA, June 2008.
11. "Demystifying the Board Certification Process: Your First Major Hurdle in Practice" 41st and 42nd Annual Meetings of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Resident Forum. San Diego, CA, May 2008 and Las Vegas, NV, May 2009.
12. "The Science of Beauty: The Anthropology, Evolution and History of Aesthetic Surgery" Panel presentation at the California Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, May 25, 2007.
13. "The Evolution of Aesthetic Surgery: Social forces that have shaped the growth of cosmetic surgery in America " Panel presentation sponsored by the Harvard Club of San Diego. La Jolla, CA, October, 2005.
14. "Nipple-areola complex sensibility after primary breast augmentation " 37th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Vancouver, Canada, April 2004.
15. "Spring-mediated mandibular distraction osteogenesis" X International Congress of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgeons. Monterey, CA, September 2003.
16. "Quantitation of breast sensibility following reduction mammaplasty: A comparison of inferior and medial pedicle techniques" 35th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Las Vegas, Nevada, April 2002.
17. "Callus Stimulation in Distraction Osteogenesis" 70th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Orlando, Florida, November 2001.
18. "Craniofacial Distraction Osteogenesis: A Review of 3,278 Cases" IX International Congress of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgeons. Visby, Sweden, June 2001.
19. "Advances in Distraction Osteogenesis" ASMS Advanced Course. Washington, D.C., October 2000.
20. "Mechanical Stimulation of the Callus During Distraction Osteogenesis of the Mandible" International Society of Fracture Repair. Hong Kong, China, September 2000.
21. "Pediatric Facial Fractures" Synthes Maxillofacial Training Course. Westchester, PA, December 1999.
22. "Biocompatibility of Fixation Materials in the Brain" VI International Congress of the International Society of Craniofacial Surgeons. St. Tropez, France, October 1995.
VISITING PROFESSOR LECTURES, LIVE SURGERY DEMONSTRATIONS AND CHARITY SURGERY
CANADIAN SOCIETY FOR AESHTETIC PLASTIC SURGERY,Quebec City, Canada, September 14, 2012(Revisionary Breast Surgery)
AIN SHAMS UNIVERSITY,Cairo, Egypt, July 1-2, 2008(Rhinoplasty)
HOSPITAL OF LOUIS PASTEUR,Bam, Iran, April 30-May 4, 2007(Secondary Burn Reconstruction)
UNITED STATES PATENTS AND TRADEMARKS
SURGICAL BREAST RETRACTOR*,*held in conjunction with Navin Singh, MD, Gedge Rosson, MD, Marwan Khalifeh, MD, Sachin Shridharani, MD and Jaime Flores, MD, November 22, 2008.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AND SCRIPPS MEMORIAL LA JOLLA GRAND ROUNDS AND TEACHING CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
1. "Buttock Augmentation with Silicone Implants: A Multicenter Review of 2226 Patients" August 29, 2012 (UCSD)
2. "Evaluation and Treatment of the Facial Aging Patient: Concepts and Pearls for a Successful Outcome" August 24, 2012 (UCSD)
3. "Aesthetic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss" August 24, 2011 (UCSD)
4. "Nasal Reconstruction" November 16, 2005 and September 22, 2010 (UCSD)
5. "Post Bariatric Surgery Body Contouring" September 1, 2009 (Scripps Memorial La Jolla)
6. "Tissue Expander and Implant Selection" August 17, 2009 (UC Irvine)
7. "Reconstructive Microsurgery for the Trauma Patient" March 24, 2005 (UCSD)
8. "Chest Wall Reconstruction" August 4, 2004 (UCSD)
9. "Evaluation of the Aesthetic Breast Surgery Patient" July 7, 2004 (UCSD)
JOHNS HOPKINS GRAND ROUNDS AND TEACHING CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
1. "Controversies in Aesthetic Breast Surgery" February 5, 2004
2. "Aesthetic Blepharoplasty" September 11, 2003
3. "Evaluation of the Aesthetic Surgery Patient" June 12, 2003
4. "Mastopexy" June 3, 2003
5. "Vertical Reduction Mammaplasty" March 18, 2003
6. "Ethnic Rhinoplasty" February 27, 2003.
7. "The Gracilis and Anterolateral Thigh Flaps" February 18, 2003.
8. "Hair Restoration and Laser Hair Removal" January 23, 2003.
9. "Plastic Surgery of the Ear" October 17, 2002.
10. "Unusual Wounds" June 13, 2002.
11. "Free Bone Flaps" December 4, 2001.
12. "Soft Tissue Tumors" November 29, 2001.
13. "Necrotizing Infections" October 23, 2001.
14. "The Scapular and Parascapular Flaps" September 18, 2001.
1. Allure Magazine, December 2006. Reference to research on breast augmentation and nipple sensitivity.
2. The San Diego Union Tribune, December 10, 2006. Profile of Dr. Mofid’s facial trauma patient, Arwen Renner.
IRB APPROVED RESEARCH PROTOCOLS
1. A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Within-Subject, Placebo-Controlled Study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Pf-06473871 in reducing hypertrophic skin scarring in female subjects (funded by Pfizer.)
1. Retrospective Analysis of Veritas in Breast Reconstruction (funded by Synovis Surgical Innovations, Inc.)
2. A Histological Study of Cellulite from Punch Biopsies (funded by Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc.)
- Excaliard Pharmaceuticals, Inc (Carlsbad, CA) 2008
- Lifecell, Inc. (Branchburg, NJ) 2008-2009
- Synovis Surgical Innovations, Inc. (St Paul, MN) 2009-2012
- Baxter (2012- present)
- Allergan (Irvine, CA) 2009, key opinion leader 2012
- Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (San Diego, CA) 2009-present
- Pfizer (Breast Reduction Scar Study) 2012- present
Awards & Honors
RALPH MILLARD BEST PRESENTATION AWARD,2012*.*
- Sponsored by Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for most outstanding presentation at the 39th Annual Meeting**
- Sponsored by San Diego Chamber of Commerce.**
- Sponsored by San Diego Union Tribune. Voted as one of the top 5% of physicians in San Diego County by peer vote and panel review.**
- Plastic Surgery Practice Magazine, selected by peers in national survey.**
- Selected by the International Association of Plastic Surgeons as a top plastic surgeon in La Jolla.**
- 2002 Best paper award for study entitled, “Craniofacial distraction osteogenesis: A review of 3,278 cases.” Plast Reconstr Surg. 109:5,2001.**
- Research award for the development of spring-mediated distraction osteogenesis.**
- Awarded in recognition of public service at a ranch facility in California for disabled children.
- La Canada Flintridge, California Troop 504.
Affiliations & Memberships
SCRIPPS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL LA JOLLA,La Jolla, CA, July 2004- Present (Active staff)
PALOMAR MEDICAL CENTER,Escondido, CA, November 2004- Present (Active staff)
SHARP MEMORIAL HOSPITAL,San Diego, CA, 2009- Present (Active staff)
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN DIEGO,La Jolla, CA, July 2004- Present (Active staff)
SHARP CHULA VISTA MEDICAL CENTER,Chula Vista, CA, July 2004- Present (Active staff)
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF PLASTIC SURGEONS-member Annual Meeting Program Committee, Instructional Course Committee and Planning Committee 2012-2013.
AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR AESTHETIC PLASTIC SURGERY-Chair,Residents and Fellows Committee 2013-present, member New Member Committee and Candidate Committee, Commoditization of Plastic Surgery Task Force 2013- present, Vice chair Residents and Fellows Committee, member Program Committee and Distance Learning Committee 2009-2013.
AMERICAN*ACADEMY*OF FACIAL PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY-Fellow
AMERICAN BOARD OF FACIAL PLASTIC AND RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY-Oral Board Examiner (2011- present), member New Generation Committee (2011- present), member Graduate Medical Education Committee (2009- present)**
CANADIAN SOCIETY FOR AESTHETIC PLASTIC SURGERY-Honorary Member 2012- present**
INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARLY RESEARCH NETWORK PLASTIC SURGERY JOURNAL-Editorial board member (March 29, 2012- present)**
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR ACCREDITATION OF AMBULATORY SURGERY FACILITIES (AAAASF)-Medicare Certified Surveyor (June 1, 2011- present)**
MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA-Expert Reviewer (September 1, 2010- December 1, 2014)**
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS-Fellow**
NORTH COUNTY EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSOCIATES-Member, Board of Directors 2010- present**
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF COSMETIC SURGERY-Fellow**
CALIFORNIA SOCIETY OF PLASTIC SURGEONS-Member, Scientific Program Committee, Nominating Committee
SAN DIEGO*COUNTY*MEDICAL SOCIETY
SAN DIEGO*PLASTIC SURGERY SOCIETY*
SOCIETY OF AESTHETIC BREAST SURGEONS-Founding Member
THE RHINOPLASTY SOCIETY-Associate Member (2007- present), Co-Chairman Membership Committee (2012- present)**
THE HARVARD CLUB OF SAN DIEGO-President (July 2008-2010), Member, Board of Directors 2004-2010.
THE LA JOLLA BEACH AND TENNIS CLUB-Family membership, 2011- present.
When you arrive at Mark Mofid, M.D FACS San Diego County office for your plastic surgery consultation, you will be greeted by his compassionate and conscientious staff, who will provide you with personalized care from your first appointment through your post-operative care and recovery.
During your plastic surgery consultation#first-visit , Dr. Mofid will perform a careful evaluation and seek to understand precisely what you would like to accomplish with your surgery. He will listen to your goals and concerns and then help you to understand what can be accomplished surgically. After this careful evaluation, Dr. Mofid will provide you with detailed and individualized information to help you make an informed and educated decision.
Your safety, comfort, privacy, and time are of paramount importance at the office of Mark Mofid, M.D FACS in San Diego, and each of these considerations will be treated with the ultimate respect in our practice. Schedule an appointment for a consultation at our office serving Del Mar, Chula Vista, La Jolla, Poway and all of San Diego County to further explore your plastic surgery options.
Staff & Facilities
Dr. Mark Mofid’s patients enjoy the comfortable atmosphere of his cosmetic surgery office located in La Jolla. His boutique practice draws patients seeking precise results customized to their aesthetic desires and needs.
When it is time for a surgical procedure, Dr. Mofid adheres to strict guidelines for patient safety to maximize the potential for optimal results. All of Dr. Mofid’s cosmetic surgery procedures are performed our accredited, AAAASF certified facility, located in our office surgery center in La Jolla. Our surgical facility is an outpatient medical center that is fully equipped to provide the highest quality surgical care.
Skin Care Products
Skin Care in San Diego and Laser Hair Removal
Beauty starts with smooth, flawless skin, and no one can help restore a youthful complexion like Dr. Mona Z. Mofid , known to her patients simply as “Dr. Mona.” Her practice, San Diego Skin, Inc., has helped hundreds of men and women achieve beautiful skin by reversing the damage caused by the sun and other factors. By providing laser hair removal, laser vein treatment, chemical peels, and other skin treatments, Dr. Mona helps her patients look their best. Contact Dr. Mona Mofid’s practice serving San Diego and La Jolla for laser hair removal and other skin care treatments.
Dr. Mona Mofid creates customized treatment plans designed to address each patient’s skin problems. Although skin problems and treatments vary from patient to patient, the goal remains much the same: to provide people with healthy and radiant complexions that they can be proud of. Contact Dr. Mona Mofid’s office in San Diego near La Jolla to learn more about laser hair removal and skin care procedures customized for you.
As a service to our patients, we are pleased to offer CareCredit, the nation’s leading patient payment program. With CareCredit you can finance 100% of your cosmetic surgery and there are no upfront costs, no annual fees, and no pre-payment penalties. So, you can schedule your procedure today and conveniently pay with low, monthly payments.
CareCredit offers a full range of No Interest and Extended Payment Plans for treatment fees from $1 to over $25,000.
No Interest Payment Plans:
- 3 month plan options [Click for Details]b2paticlientmain.htm
- No interest if the balance is paid within the specified time period
- Low minimum monthly payments
- 24, 36, 48, & 60 month plan options [Click for Details]b2paticlientmain.htm
- For procedure fees from $1,000 to over $25,000
- 13.90% interest rate
- Monthly payments as low as $76 for a $3,000 fee balance