Credentials, Training, & Certification
Smart Beauty Guide only connects you with board-certified plastic surgeons who are Members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Membership is by invitation only and the requirements are designed to limit membership only to formally trained and experienced plastic surgeons who concentrate their practices in performing cosmetic plastic surgery of the face and body.
Society membership remains an exclusive privilege for those surgeons who possess the necessary qualifications and only about one-quarter of all American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeons have been accepted into ASAPS membership. Physicians trained in specialties other than plastic surgery are not eligible for membership in the Aesthetic Society.
Among the requirements for invitation and election to ASAPS membership, a plastic surgeon must:
- Be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or in plastic surgery by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Plastic surgeons who are not citizens of the United States or Canada who meet the high professional and ethical standards required for ASAPS membership may become ASAPS international active members.
- Participate in accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) to stay current with developments in the field of cosmetic plastic surgery and patient safety
- Document the performance of a significant number and variety of cosmetic surgical cases to demonstrate wide experience
- Be sponsored by two ASAPS-member plastic surgeons to help ensure that the applicant’s professional reputation meets the high standards required by ASAPS
- Adhere to current ethical standards for professional conduct as outlined in the Code of Ethics observed by all ASAPS-member surgeons
- Operate in accredited surgical facilities
- Be elected by at least 80% of the Active Membership.