Alfonso Barrera MD, FACS
About the Practice
Careful selection of your plastic surgeon is extremely important. You must look for a surgeon who is properly credentialed, qualified and experienced.
Dr. Barrera specializes in:
- Megasession Hair Transplantation * Laser Treatment of Pigmented Lesions
- Surgery of the Nose (rhinoplasty) * Laser Treatment of Hemangiomas
- Eyelid Surgery (blepharoplasty) * Telangiectasias and Scars
- Surgery of the Ears (otoplasty) * Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty)
- Facelift * Breast Lift (mastopexy)
- Removal of Double Chin (submental liposuction) * Breast Augmentation (augmentation mammaplasty)
- Liposuction * Forehead Lift
- Laser Skin Resurfacing * Eye Reconstruction
- Laser Surgery
Reconstructive Procedures (covered by insurance)
- Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy * Scalp Reconstruction Tissue Expansion
- Breast reduction (reduction mammaplasty) * Correction of Cleft Lip or Palate or Other Congenital Abnormalities
- Surgery of the Hand (correction of injuries or congenital problems) * Burn Reconstruction Hair Transplant
- Skin Grafts or Skin Flaps for Burns
Background & Certification
- The American Board of Plastic Surgery November 30, 1987* The American Board of Otolaryngology April 3, 1984
Publications and Presentations
1. Webster, R.C., Smith, R.C., Smith, K.F.,Barrera, A., & Hamdan, V.:
Local flaps for the middle third of the face. Facial Plastic Surgery, 1:1-30, 1983.
2. Webster, R.C., Smith, R.C., Smith, K.F.,Barrera, A., & Hamdan, U.: External splinting of the nose. Laryngoscope,93: 1615-1616, 1983.
3. Walby, P., Barrera, A., Schuknecht, H.F.: Cochlear pathology in chronic suppurative otitis media. Ann.
Otol. Raynol. Laryngology, 92: Supplement 103, 1983.
4. Biggs, T. M., Barrera, A.: Developmental defects of the neck. In Stark, R.B. (Ed.): Plastic Surgery of the Head and Neck, Churchill
Livingston,Inc., p. 1403-1415, 1987.
5. Cohen, B. E., Barrera, A.: Survival of transferred intestinal segments after vascular pedicle
interruption. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Vol. 79: p. 610-615, 1987.
6. Cronin, T.D., Barrera, A: Deformities of the cervical region. In Converse, J. G. McCarthy Third Ed.
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, W. B. Sanders Company, p. 2057-2093, 1990.
7. Barrera, A.: Micrograft and Minigraft Megasession Hair Transplantation: Review of 100 Consecutive Cases.
Aesthetic Surgery Journal Volume 17, Number 3 p. 165-169, 1997
8. Barrera, A: Micrograft and Minigraft Megasession Hair Transplantation Results after a Single
Session. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Volume 100, Number 6 p. 1524-1530, 1997
9. Barrera, A: Refinements in Hair Transplantation: Micro and Minigraft
Megasession. Perspectives in Plastic Surgery. Volume 11, Number 1 p. 53-70, 1998.
10. Barrera, A: The Use of Micrografts and Minigrafts for the Correction of the Postrhytidectomy Lost Sideburn Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Volume 102, Number 6, November 1998.
11. Barrera,A. Book review: Buchuwauch, K.Konior, R.J. Contemporary Hair Transplantation Surgery. New York, Thieme Medical Publishers.
Annals of Plastic Surgery.Vol Number 1998.
12. Barrera, A: The Use of Micrografts and Minigrafts for the Treatment of Burn Alopecia.
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Volume 103, Number 2, p. 581-584, 1999.
13. Barrera, A. Facelift and Hair Transplantation as a Single Procedure. Plastic And
Reconstructive Surgery. Volume 104, Number 6, p. 1831-1838, 1999.
14. Barrera, A. Discussion. Jeffrey Epstein,Revision Surgical Hair Restoration, correction of undesirable results. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Volume 104, Number 1, p 233- 236.1999.
15. Barrera, A. Discussion : Brenan, H.G., Toft,K.M.,Durham, B.P., Goodie,
R.L., Koch, R.J.
Prevention and correction of the temporal hair loss in Rhytidectomy. Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery.
Volume 104, Number 7, p. 2226-2228, l999.
16. Barrera A. Discussion : Vogel J.E. Correction of the corn row Transplant and other common problems in
surgical hair transplantation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Volume 105 Number 4 , p.1537-1538, 2000.
17. Barrera A. Discussion: Ahmet Seyhan, Levent Yoleri, Ali Baructu. Immediate Hair
Transplantation into a newly closed wound to conceal the final scar on the hair bearing
skin. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Vol 105, Number 5, p. 1871. 2000.
18. Barrera. A Discussion: R.E.A. Nordstrom, M.Greco, E. Rapsio. "The Nordstrom Suture" to enhance Scalp Reductions.
Plast. Reconstr. Surg. Vol 107. Number 2. 583-585, 2001
19. Barrera, A The use of micrografts andminigrafts for the treatment of burn alopecia.
Hair Transp. Forum International.11(2) 43-44. March April/ 2001.
Awards & Honors
- Aesculapius Award on Scientific Exhibit:
- Texas Medical Association, Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, Texas, May 1984
- Scientific Exhibit Award - First Place Award.
Texas Medical Association - 130th Annual Meeting Houston, Texas, May 1997
Affiliations & Memberships
- Memorial Herman Memorial City
- Spring Branch Hospital
- West Houston Surgicare
- Memorial Village
- Harris County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Massachusetts Medical Society
- Harvard Medical Alumni Association
- American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Double Boarded Society
- International Society for Hair Restoration Surgery, Inc
- Fellow of The American College of Surgeons
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
- International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Secretary, Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1995-1996
Vice President, Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1996-1997
President, Houston Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1997-1998
Chief Plastic Surgery Section, Department of Surgery, Memorial Hospital Memorial City 1996-1997
Governing Board - Outpatient Surgery Center, Memorial Hospital Memorial City 1996-Present
Elected Nominating Committee Member of The Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1997-1998
Elected Nominating Committee Member of The Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2000-2001
Board of Directors of the Hispanic American Medical Association representing the country of Mexico January 2000-2002
Elected Member of the Credentials Committee, Memorial- Hermann Hospital Memorial City, Houston Texas, 1999-2000
Prices for Consultation from $75.00 - $150.00
Staff & Facilities
Office Surgical Suite
Professional Graphics System & Mirrors
Skin Care Products
Therapon, Glytone, and MD. Forte
Cash, Check, Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Discover