Determining Your Age Based on Facial Features – What Makes Someone Look Younger?
Have you ever had the not-so-pleasant experience of a co-worker, a decade your senior, assuming you were their peer based on your appearance and sadly, not your wisdom?
I recently wrote about a new site, How-Old.net, that's stirring up conversation due to outcry over the API's age-guessing accuracy…or lack thereof. To see how accurate the test is, I tested it on myself by uploading four photos to the site for review and my 36 year-old self was designated as 29, 32, 35, and …47.
But before I judge the app for mis-judging my age, I realize that this technology from Microsoft is still in Beta, meaning they're still working out the kinks. Even the most advanced technology would be fooled by bad angles, bad lighting, the occasional deep-set wrinkle or sun spot, and dull skin.
Thankfully there are ways to fool both technology and our co-workers. According to Yahoo! Health, there are key giveaways that reveal our age.
Below are the most glaring telltale signs of aging and their respective treatments include procedures that can help reverse or at least address them to some extent. Phew!
Problem areas and Treatments:
Sun damage, including redness and sun spots
- Chemical peels involve the use of a chemical solution to remove the damaged outer layer of the skin to reveal a smooth skin texture. It is effective for facial blemishes, wrinkles, and uneven skin pigmentation.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL) photo facial treatment lets you say goodbye to the effects of sun damage and transforms your skin from a blotchy to radiant complexion. It is a 30-minute procedure in which intense pulses of light penetrate deep into the skin causing collagen and blood vessels to constrict, reducing redness and age lines.
- Laser skin resurfacing can help you achieve younger, more radiant skin by removing the top skin layer and producing new cells that give the skin a tighter surface.
Larger pores/dull appearance/rough texture
- Microdermabrasion uses tiny, rough grains to buff away the surface layer of the skin. Microdermabrasion diminishes dull complexion, uneven skin texture and dark spots. It’s a light peel with no downtime.
- Dermabrasion/ dermaplaning similar to a microdermabrasion, is used to improve the appearance of scars (including certain types of acne scars), fine lines and even out skin tone. Cheeks and upper lip lines are the most common areas of treatment. Dermabrasion treatment is an intense procedure that completely resurfaces the skin.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
Folds of skin drooping at the corners
- Blepharoplasty/ eyelid surgery corrects droopy eyelids by removing excess skin, muscle and fat. The removal of fat from the eyes can improve your vision and give your eyes a more youthful appearance.
Dark circles become more apparent as the skin thins
- Non-ablative fractional laser treatment generates light beams targeting the treatment area stimulating collagen production as the temperature rises.
- Hyaluronic acid facial fillers such as Restylane or fat grafted from another body area restore volume to the tear trough diminishing the appearance of dark circles
- Laser skin resurfacing
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL)
Cheeks begin to droop, creating folds around the mouth/ jowls
- Mid facelift addresses sagging in the mid-face region by returning the drooping cheeks to their natural position by removing excess skin, and tightening underlying tissues and muscles
- Dermal fillers add volume to the cheeks and can be used to contour the overall face for a balanced youthful appearance
The neck is one of the first places that practically announces one’s age
- Neck lift gets rid of the “turkey wattle” by tightening the skin and underlying muscles improving the contour of the jawline
- The latest nonsurgical procedures for reducing neck fat are:
CoolMini which freezes fat cells that are then eliminated naturally from the body
Lips thin with age
- Lip enhancement using fillers adds volume
- Lip lift surgery whereby an incision is created along the bottom crease of the nose and the lip is rolled up exposing more of the red portion, (vermillion) of the upper lip so the upper lip looks fuller and thicker in height and volume
The nose gets wider with age and the tip often droops (who knew?!) Rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery reshapes and resizes the nose. A nose job can improve the harmony between the nose and face.
As the saying goes, time marches on, and before we know it, it’s marching across our entire face. But - before we try to reverse the clock completely all at once, note that some areas we might have been freaking out about—like minor crow’s feet – didn’t even make this list.
By focusing on parts of the body that easily give us away, we can choose to tackle the most pressing problem areas first, and thankfully have many options for doing so ranging from topical solutions, to non-invasive and surgical procedures. The value of including board-certified plastic surgeons in your skincare and anti-aging regimen is that they offer a full range of services and have a full understanding of skin, musculature and anatomy – better equipping them to help determine what procedure is best for you at any given time – and of course, handling the administration of any procedure. Think of it as the continuum of beauty! The plastic surgeon is with you for the long haul.